Chris McKenna is the Founder of Protect Young Eyes, an internet safety organization that helps families, schools, and churches create safer digital environments. Protect Young Eyes provides a reliable website that explains digital trends, delivers live presentations for churches, schools, and parents, and offers an in-class digital citizenship curriculum.
Chris is also a Manager at Covenant Eyes, an online accountability company that helps individuals and families filter and combat explicit digital content.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Chris McKenna talks about his passion for promoting online safety for children and why he founded Protect Young Eyes
- The biggest challenge parents face with their kids and technology: peer pressure
- How businesses profit from tracking personal data — and the legislation that could change that business model
- Chris explains how his four layers of digital protection can help parents shield their children from online harm
- Chris' advice for creating a safe space for your tech-savvy adolescents
- Are parents the most frequent violators of their children’s privacy and security?
In this episode…
Do you want to create a safe online environment for your children? Are you looking for the resources, tools, and community to help you protect adolescents from digital exploitation, explicit content, and more?
Many parents, educators, and caretakers think that by customizing controls on a child’s device, they immediately shield them from harmful or explicit content online. However, the reality of digital protection for children is much more complex — and that’s where Chris McKenna comes in. As an online safety expert with years of experience under his belt, Chris knows that there are four layers of digital protection to master: relational, locational, Wi-Fi, and device. So, how can you start implementing these four layers of safety in your home, school, or organization today?
In this episode of She Said Privacy/He Said Security, Jodi and Justin Daniels sit down with Chris McKenna, the Founder of Protect Young Eyes, to talk about creating safe and secure online environments for children. Listen in as Chris talks about how peer pressure impacts parents’ decisions about technology, his successful four-layered approach to digital safety, and the keys to establishing a proactive — but non-judgmental — space for tech-savvy adolescents. Stay tuned!
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Chris McKenna on LinkedIn
- Protect Young Eyes
- Protect Young Eyes on Facebook
- Protect Young Eyes on Instagram
- Covenant Eyes
- Jodi Daniels on LinkedIn
- Justin Daniels on LinkedIn
- Red Clover Advisors
- Red Clover Advisors on LinkedIn
- Red Clover Advisors on Facebook
- Red Clover Advisors’ email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait Until 8th
- Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act
- National Center on Sexual Exploitation
- Titania Jordan on She Said Privacy/He Said Security
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Red Clover Advisors.
Red Clover Advisors uses data privacy to transform the way that companies do business together and create a future where there is greater trust between companies and consumers.
Founded by Jodi Daniels, Red Clover Advisors helps their clients comply with data privacy laws and establish customer trust so that they can grow and nurture integrity. They work with companies in a variety of fields, including technology, SaaS, ecommerce, media agencies, professional services, and financial services.
You can get a copy of their free guide, “Privacy Resource Pack,” through this link.